Wednesday 28 September 2011

Chapter 6 - Ballroom.

I was teetering on the brink of sleep until I was awoken by the screen door of our carriage sliding open. The twins started to pout, so I had a pretty good idea who was going to walk through the door. I scowled as Wood smiled at me, but in the pit of my stomach I felt something, a little nagging, pulling sensation that drew me to him.  I'd never felt it before, and I didn't like it. It made me feel funny, kind of jittery? He went to sit on his bed, and I pulled the sheets back over me as I lay down. For the first time in ages I felt warm, happy and comforted. What did this mean?

Please play this whilst reading...   

As I plunged into brightly colored scenarios and delicious memory's, a quaint piano piece played, growing and growing, pulling me closer and closer into a ball room. There was a gigantic Chandler sparkling, pooling delicate yellow-white light onto the dance floor, penetrating the auburn wood, like a kaleidoscope, it spread jewel like patterns on the parquet floor. The ceiling was gold crested and grand with faces and flowers intertwining into a moving pattern.

Outside there were small clipped bushes and green lawns looking out onto the sea. A small breeze pattered at the windows and the sun was setting. There was one wall lined with ancient books in varying shades of green, red, gold and brown. But, all of this detail and beauty couldn't make me take my eyes of a couple, dancing very slowly, round and round.

The man, tall and handsome, grasped the tiny lady in his long tanned arms, guiding, twisting and twirling her. He had a amazingly distinct jaw bone and ruffled mousy hair. The woman had very long very deep red hair, twisted up into a high bun, pearls perching in her pristine locks. She had deep round green eyes and very pail skin. She was also tall and slim, with delicate features and small feet. They danced faster and faster in circles and lines, perfectly in sync and never braking eye contact.

I awoke, to the slow realization that that dancing girl was me. And that the man, as much as I hated to admit it was Wood. The same Wood, sleeping peacefully below me.
He sighed at precisely the same time as I did, and when I drifted back to sleep only one face kept appearing, and it belonged to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment